The secret to happiness and living your best life is not complicated, but it is something we should all make a priority every day. No matter your age or your place in life, there are simple steps you can take to help embrace and live life to the fullest.
We sat down and spoke with our Executive Director, Chris Coulter, to find out what his tips were for living a happy and fulfilled life. He gave us these 12 great tips -- Check them out below!
1. Get at least 8 hours of good sleep. Sleep is crucial to starting your day right. It gives your body time to reboot and brings on some surprising health benefits.
2. Eat healthy and not late at night. It’s okay to cheat and reward yourself every now and then (the occasional cheeseburger), but overall, lots of water and fruits and vegetables.
3. Make someone smile every day. I say to my girls every morning before they leave the house, “Make someone smile today.” There is no better feeling than to see other people happy and make them smile. It’s the best medicine.
4. Make a difference in someone else’s life. It doesn’t matter what it is. It can be as simple as holding a door open for someone or taking a moment out of your busy day to say, “Hello.”
5. Live by the Golden Rule. “Treat others the way you would want to be treated,” is something both my grandmother, and my wife, have always encouraged.
6. Laugh! Life is too short not to embrace the humor and fun in life.
7. Take time to be thankful. Saying “please” and especially “thank you” go along way.
8. Smile at others. Some people may think you are a little crazy, but just smile at others.
9. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Laughter is the best medicine, as they say. It’s the best antidote to stress, conflict, and pain!
10. Exercise your brain. Read a book, a magazine or just an article in the paper.
11. Remember people’s names. There is no greater feeling than to feel important.
12. Above all else, say, “I love you.” Tell the people in your life who make a difference that you love them and appreciate them.